I went to Hancock Fabrics and found this nice black and white wool for my jacket on sale for only $12.99/yard. Because I didn't really want to spend a ton of money (I still had to buy lining) I decided to shorten my jacket. So, I made a new peplum skirt for the bottom and took out the waistband and the long skirt. [I plan on using it later when I find the perfect blue wool for a winter jacket.]
Below is the front piece with facing built into front bodice draped on my dress form. The black is the knit interfacing that I bought at Joann's. It is fusible and $4.95/yard. Most expensive interfacing I've ever bought.
I don't know how I feel about it yet. I like that it still keeps the fabric flexible and gives it a nice drape, but I found that it kept coming off of my fabric and I kept having to steam it back onto the wool. (See photo below) Anyone ever tried it before?
I didn't finish sewing the main fabric until around 3 am. I pressed all my seams open since I am going to line it anyways. I also didn't use interfacing on the peplum because I didn't have enough black knit interfacing and because I wanted the peplum to have more drape than the rest of the jacket.
Here is a very crooked and bad 3 am picture of the back.
and the front.
So far I like it a lot. I'm actually pretty proud and impressed that I was able to make this jacket. I was quite intimidated with this project, especially with the lining. I've never put one in a jacket before. We'll see how that goes. It's due tomorrow and I'm working on the lining tonight, so I will definitely do another post on it in a few days! Let me know what you're working on...